Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Art of Making the Perfect Sabzeh!

Every year around this time I start preparing my Sabzeh for Norooz. I have to admit it has taken me a while to get that perfect green bunch. My sabzeh used to look like a bald head with a few remaining hair! But after many trial and errors I can get a pretty nice Sabzeh for my haft sin. Here are some tips: I use Sadaf brand wheat that's labeled "Gandom Sabzeh" or regular lentil "adas" Soak the contents for two days and change the water daily. On the thrid day you should notice some roots starting to sprout. That's when you need to drain the water and pour them in your special dish. Don't be stingy and make sure you cover the dish to the top. This will help your sabzeh be full and green. Next soak a paper towel and cover the entire surface. Keep the towel wet by spraying it with a water bottle twice a day. Don't let it dry out. Once you see the sprouts are pushing the towel you can remove the paper towel. However you still need to spray it twice a day and keep it where it could get indirect sun light. Too much sun will make it turn yellow. Once it's nice and full don't forget to tie a nice red ribbon around it and save it for 13 be dar.



No comments:

Post a Comment